Friday, December 18, 2009

A TRUE STORY: I have a dying person in the car...


It must have been in March. It was a drizzly, rainy night and the darkness was deep. A car pulls up and stops in front of the house. Cathy looks through the window and says, "Who can that be?", so I go to the door. Basically all I see other than the headlights are the interior light of a car and a dark body emerges, but not before I see them tending to something in the back seat of the car.

I stand at the door as the person in the car hurries to our front step. "Doctor, I need the Doctor." "What?"I said. The woman says to me in a breathless voice, "I called, I need to find the Doctor. I have a dying person in the car."

"Oh my god. I’ll call 911."

The woman says, "No, don’t. Where is the hospital, the pet hospital?"

"There isn’t a hospital around here; I should really call 911."

Cathy comes to the door, "What’s going on, can I help you?"

"I called, someone told me to pull up and flash my lights and they would let me in. I have a dying person in the car."

Cathy said, "What is the address? That is on the other side of the street, but it’s a log cabin. It’s not a hospital."

The woman is stressing, and says to Cathy, "Come with me." I see fear in Cathy’s eyes, but she slips on shoes, and they walk out to the car in the darkness to the passenger side. I watch them bow inside the car as I look on from inside the house.

Cathy and the woman return to the house talking about the Log Cabin house down the road and Cathy looks up to me and says, "She has a dying opossum in the car, Lynn, not a dying person."

We send her on her way. Then we watch to see if our neighbor lets her in.

1 comment: